Dog Stung By Bee In Mouth: Is It Dangerous For Doggies?

The dog is playing on the grass.

What to do when your dog is stung by a bee in the mouth or around the face? Does treatment for scars can help address inflammation from a bee sting? Does your dog need to take some medicines? Usually, a wasp or bee sting will cause some minor pain and irritation. This effect may not require any vet treatment. However, sometimes, a bite from a bee can be dangerous for your dog. Hence, it is better to teach your dog to leave wasps and bees alone. Keep reading to learn how to remove a bee sting and when an insect bite is a serious call for your dog.


Symptoms Of Bee Stings

Like humans, bee or wasp stings can cause some side effects to your dog. In fact, it may cause a minor or severe reaction depending on your dog’s condition. Also, the location of the sting may affect the seriousness of the impact. Common signs and symptoms of bee stings include:

  • Sensitivity and pain
  • Swelling at the sting site or the skin may also feel firm

If your dog swallowed the bee or the bite of flying insects occurs inside the mouth, they may likewise encounter:

  • Drooling
  • Shaking of the head
  • Coughing or gagging
  • Rapid breathing or wheezing
  • Repeated licking of the lips
  • Vomiting or diarrhea

Furthermore, multiple stings usually happen to your dog’s paws since they often step on them or swot them away. Luckily, most cases of these do not need vet treatment. However, you may still need to do some remedies to help your dog manage the bee stings at home.


How to Remove A Bee Sting

In contrast to wasps, bees will generally leave their sting behind clogged in the skin, and it continues to release venom into their victim. Assuming you are uncertain whether your dog has been taking care of teethstung by a wasp or bee, then ensure you search for a sting. Taking out the sting may help remove any side effects. Just keep in mind not to tweak the sting out using tweezers or your fingers, as this can release more venom into your dog’s body, resulting in more pain and a bigger reaction.

Other ways to manage a bee sting include:


Wash The Area

Pet owners should gently clean the affected area using fresh water and soap. This can help forestall infections and can diminish the risk of additional issues like severe allergic reactions. In addition, the site may be sensitive and painful. Hence, ensure you do not scrub the region hard.


Ease The Swelling

Cold compress treatment is a safe method to reduce swelling and inflammation. Place a cooling towel on the affected part and hold it for a while. You may also use an ice pack but avoid putting the ice directly on your dog’s skin. You can wrap some ice cubes in a clean towel or put a thin piece of fabric on the skin first, then set the ice on top of that. If ice cubes are not available, you can use a bag of frozen peas instead. Remember not to leave the ice for too long. In fact, five to ten minutes is long enough.


Can I Give My Dog Antihistamines?

Some dogs can take a few over-the-counter human antihistamines. However, if you give the wrong medication or amount for your pet’s size and body weight, it could be dangerous. You can learn more by clicking on this link. In any case, it would be best to give your dog an antihistamine if your vet has told you to do so. They are the expert who can provide a safe amount of drugs for your dog.


Keep An Eye On Your Dog

Significantly, you need to keep your eye on your dog after they get bitten by a bee. This is to make sure your dog is free from any signs of an anaphylactic reaction. In exceptionally uncommon cases, anaphylactic bee reactions can be delayed. So if your dog demonstrates a severe allergic reaction with 24 hours of being stung, it is critical to contact your vet immediately.


Life-Threatening Allergic Reaction

Once your dog shows some signs of an allergic reaction, it is essential to see a vet as soon as possible. Indications of allergic reactions after a bee sting include:dog stung by bee in mouth

  • Extreme swelling around the head and neck. This could compromise respiration.
  • Hive on any area of your dog’s body. This may cause itchiness to your dog, making your dog roll on the floor or grass in an attempt to scratch at hard-to-reach places.
  • Excessive drooling. Your dog may have trouble swallowing his own saliva and drools a lot if there is swelling in the throat.
  • Breathing problems. Your dog may pant more than normal due to swelling in the respiratory passages or because they are anxious.
  • Disorientation or dizziness. You can notice this sign if your dog stumbles or is not alert than his normal behavior.
  • Agitation. This may occur when a dog becomes anxious because of the itching and difficulty breathing. Additionally, insect stings may influence the nervous system.
  • Vomiting or diarrhea can also indicate an allergic reaction to your dog.

Moreover, if there is a seizure, call your vet immediately. Remember that an allergic reaction is a difficult situation for your dog. Only a professional can help rule out any possible complications.



What to do if you’re stung by a bee.

Ice Packs vs. Warm Compresses For Pain.

Signs of a Severe Allergic Reaction.

Written by 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *